Tuesday 1 July 2014

Beer #264 - Peroni
Beer #265 - Peroni Chill Lemon
Beer #266 - Peroni Gran Riserva Rossa

I recently spent a week in Italy taking in Naples and some of the Amalfi Coast. On this occasion I quite frankly couldn’t be bothered to spend any time hunting down interesting or local beers and thought if I come across any so, be it. I didn’t. Although I did come across a wine shop in Naples with an impressive collection of Shepherd Neame beers, which was a bit surreal. Accordingly I spent my time drinking Peroni, Peroni and more Peroni (I really drank quite a lot of Peroni). 

Whilst the brand’s Nastro Azzurro (Blue ribbon) is what usually makes it overseas I largely stuck to the bog standard lager as well as trying out a couple of others. Peroni is a pretty standard Euro-lager and I can’t really think of too much to recommend it. It’s light and refreshing but there isn’t a lot going on in the way of flavour which has a sweetness that amplifies as the beer warms. As with most lagers of this type its decent enough when served very cold on a hot, sunny day.

Brewery: Birra Peroni Industriale (SABMiller)
Country: Italy 
ABV: 4.7%




I came across Peroni Chill Lemon in just a couple of places and thought I may as well give it a go. I’m a pretty big lemon soda fan and obviously a big beer fan but, as I believe I’ve documented before, I’m not sure that the two should be mixed. I’ve tried similar drinks in Eastern Europe before and this wasn’t really any better or worse. The taste is sweet, cloudy lemonade cut with a lagery hint. Not terrible but arguably the worst of both worlds. I’d rather either have lemonade or a beer, and at 2% ABV I can’t really see the point in drinking this. 

Brewery: Birra Peroni Industriale (SABMiller)
Country: Italy
ABV: 2.0%


The only other Peroni beer I made the effort to try was the Gran Riserva Rossi, one of a few ‘Gran Riserva’ products that the brewery produces. This one was an amber lager that poured a reddy amber colour. It’s light-bodied with a sickly sweet caramel taste and some fruity tones although I definitely felt that something was a bit ‘off’ here.  It’s almost an interesting beer but it doesn’t quite hit the mark and in the end I struggled to finish the whole bottle.

 Brewery: Birra Peroni Industriale (SABMiller)
Country: Italy
ABV: 5.2%

No comments:

Post a Comment