Saturday 31 May 2014

Beer #248 - Partizan Black Saaz Saison

Last weekend my girlfriend and I called in at Stormbird in Camberwell for a drink whilst walking home from an exhibition at the South London Gallery. The pub was near empty on a quiet Saturday afternoon, I do love a quiet pub. I opted for the Black Saaz Saison from Partizan (complete with home-made pump clip!) as it sounded like the most interesting thing on the bar, and because I love Partizan. There seems to be an increasing trend of the moment for beers brewed with ingredients that wouldn’t ordinarily be used in that style, or used in greater quantities, that lend the beer totally different characteristics. First on the scene we had black IPAs, a few weeks ago I tried the Beavertown Quelle Saison, a saison that tasted more like an IPA. This is another example, a dark saison that tastes more like a porter than a traditional saison. The beer pours very dark brown/black with a tan head. The aroma is of roasted malt and chocolate and it smells absolutely delicious. The flavour again comes from the roasted malt with lovely chocolate and a hint of coffee dominating. It’s a nice light beer and very drinkable with bitter notes. I’m not sure what it is about this beer that makes it a saison though, if anyone would care to enlighten me, please do!
Brewery: Partizan Brewing
Country: United Kingdom
ABV: 6.4%

No comments:

Post a Comment