Tuesday 11 February 2014

Beer 174 - Lion Lager

Lion Lager is far and away the most popular beer in Sri Lanka. If you ask for a beer in your hotel/a bar/a restaurant the chances are that you’ll be served a Lion. Whilst I’ve not been able to ascertain the market share of the beer, the Lion Brewery portfolio holds an 82% market share. The brewery was established in the 1880s in order to serve British colonists in the country’s tea plantations and is now part of the Carlsberg Group, whichacquired it in 1996. As far as lagers go this is a pretty reasonable one and is nice and refreshing in the Sri Lankan heat.  It pours a nice clear gold and has a very light taste with some malt. As far as Asian lagers go I’d put it up there as one of my favourites. The only problem I had was that it’s usually served in large 625ml bottles so by the time you’d got half way through the beer starts to get pretty warm! I’ll be posting a brief Sri Lankan beer guide in the coming days which will feature a bit more information on what I could find out about the local beer scene. 

Brewery: Lion Brewery Ceylon
Country: Sri Lanka
ABV: 4.8%
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment